This shot is from the window by the kitchen:
Remember how there was NO lighting in that room? That was remedied by swapping the tiny (and kind of pointless) ceiling fan with a really simple square semi-flush light from Home Depot. We added an identical one directly in front of the big window. There was already a plate there, so we knew the wiring for a light existed; it was just a matter of going up in the attic and figuring it all out. Fortunately I'm married to an engineer who is also one of the handiest dudes I know. An hour or two of crawling around and rerouting wires, and our sad dark room had light! Huzzah!
The shelving unit/entertainment center/desk consists of three of Ikea's ubiquitous Expedits (we've had the 2x4s since we got married, and David bought a 2x2 to store the printer and some other computer stuffs) and a sheet of plywood that David cut to connect the units and fit that corner. He painted it the same brown as the mantel and screwed it in to create a secure place for his computer monitor, etc. It was a simple and inexpensive desk solution, since we mostly used what we had on hand already.
So what's left on the to-do list?
- Paint the laundry room door to match the trim.
- Touch up all the edges on the fireplace, which I've mentioned before and still haven't gotten around to.
- Scrape the popcorn off the ceiling. Ugh. One of these days...
- Replace the tiny cheapo rug with something more substantial. I'm leaning toward FLOR tiles at the moment. They seem like a good choice in a room where we play and eat and make messes. I just don't know which ones to get. Suggestions?
- Get a new couch, since this hand-me-down from the padres is at least twelve years old and falling apart and ugly. Comfy, yes, but kind of pitiful. We're leaning toward this guy in one of the dark grey fabrics. He's comfortable, inexpensive, fits in that corner, and looks like he'd handle spills and stains well. But we'd like more seating than that, so also...
- Get some other furniture...maybe a big squashy chair, a storage ottoman, and a side table or two.
- Put some art up on the walls. I really want to get this fun world map, but I have some other things to hang up just waiting in the closet for me to get my buns in gear.
- Rearrange the Expedit shelves, since Mila can now open and reach into the "cupboards." (She likes to eat lotion, so it's probably best to keep that out of her reach.)
- Address the cord situation behind the shelves. Right now it's a hot tangled mess that needs to be straightened out and organized...and preferably hidden.